Bacon-Crumble Apple Pie
Prep time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 golden delicious apples (about 1 1/2 lbs total)- peeled, cored and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- One 9-inch store-bought pie shell, prebaked according to package directions
- Preheat the oven to 400F. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp; drain and crumble. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and sugar; add the butter and using your fingers, incorporate the butter until crumbly. Stir in the bacon and cheese; refrigerate.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. In a medium bowl, toss apples with the granulated sugar and lemon peel. Transfer to the pie shell and sprinkle with the topping. Place the pie on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Cover loosely with foil and bake until golden and the apples are tender when pierced, 40-45 mins.; let cool before serving.
You must be logged in to post a comment.