Baked Eggs and Mushrooms in Ham Crisps
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: Under 15 Minutes
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot or onion
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon Lawrey's seasoned salt or salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons crème fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 12 slices Virginia ham or honey ham (without holes)
- 12 medium eggs
- Fresh whole tarragon leaves (for garnish)
- Triangles of buttered toast
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 12-cup muffin tin.
In a large heavy frying pan over medium-high heat, saute mushrooms and shallot in butter with salt and pepper, stirring, approximately 10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and liquid they give off is evaporated.
Remove from heat and stir in crème fraiche and tarragon.
To Assemble, fit 1 slice of ham into each prepared muffin cups (ends will stick up and hang over edges of cups). Divide mushrooms among cups and crack 1 egg into each.
Bake in middle of oven approximately 12 to 14 minutes, depending on number of servings being baked. Check the eggs after about 10 minutes baking time. When done, the whites should be completely set and the yolks beginning to thicken but not hard. Season eggs with additional salt and pepper.
Remove eggs (with ham) from muffin cups carefully, using 2 spoons or small spatulas, and place on individual serving plates. Garnish with tarragon leaves triangles of buttered toast leaned on the cups to dip in the yolk as desired. Serve two eggs per person.