The 2014 NFL MOCK DRAFT Picks 11
A quick review of picks 1 10. I argued in the first article, that the top ten teams would NOT pick a Quarterback. With this in mind we will see that impact in the draft picks of the teams picking 11 21. Summary of my first ten picks:Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Evans WR Texas A11. Tennessee Titans Blake Bortles QB UCF Tennessee needs three positions. They need a QB, CB, and a RB. Interesting draft position my previous top ten gives them. They now have the pick of the litter of QBs. They could choose a RB to replace CJ2K who announced with the NY Jets or they could draft a CB with Alterraun Verner departure because of free agency. But the way the draft has fallen, Tennessee GM will switch gears and be the first team to draft a QB and that is because of the inability of Jake Locker to stay healthy. By drafting Bortles, they tip their cap to all the scouts who say he needs some time getting up to NFL speed and they also put Locker on notice that his replacement is one injury away.
12. New York Giants Aaron Donald DT Pitt The Giants have three needs in the draft. J.J. Watt Jersey A DT,WR and CB. It's a no brainer here that the Giants have to address losing Linval Joseph. Donald is that ideal fit for the Giants because of his ability to rush the QB from the inside. A lights out senior year highlighted by arguably the best performance of any player on the field at the Senior Bowl in Alabama. A 4.68 40 coupled with a strong 35 bench reps makes him impossible for the always defensive minded Giants. Looking forward to a great career from Aaron and a perfect fit for the Giants.
13. St. Louis Rams Calvin Pryor FS Louisville Rams need a WR, OL and a Safety. The Rams are probably the biggest drafters of wide receivers in the last five years with varying success. I think GM Snead steers clear of that here and takes arguably the best Safety on the board Calvin Pryor. Some are saying HaSean Clinton Dix is better but I like the numbers better http://www.texansonlineprostore.com/WOMENS-ANDRE-JOHNSON-JERSEY.html on the field and the combine for Pryor. Both had identical 40 numbers but a huge difference in strength. Pryor posted 18 reps and Ha Ha only benched 11 reps. Also, the game stat line tells a story. Pryor in three years at Louisville, had 218 tackles, two sacks, seven interceptions, 18 passes defended, one fumble recovery and nine forced fumbles. Clinton Dix in two years at Alabama had 88 tackles, seven interceptions and 13 passes defended. Pryor is much better coming to the help of the second level linebackers and making a tackle and probably will be a better cover on all tight ends and Clinton Dix is probably a bit better as a coverage Safety but for the Rams, I think Pryor is a better fit and they will get more out of him.
14. Chicago Bears HaSean Clinton Dix FS Alabama Da Bears need a Safety, CB, and DT. With Aaron Donald and Calvin Pryor off the board, they will choose Ha Ha Clinton Dix and be done with that need. Clinton Dix is very quick side to side and has excellent range and will Jadeveon Clowney Womens Jersey allow Chicago to adopt an Over and Under type of defensive coverage if they are caught with a second tier talent at CB.
15. Pittsburgh Steelers Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan The Steelers are in need of a CB, DL, and a WR. The Steelers are amazing looking at history of finding the diamond receiver in later rounds. Hines Ward chosen in the third round, Michael Wallace drafted in the third round, Emmanuel Sanders in the third round, Antonio Brown in the sixth round. Get the picture. Steelers draft amazingly well in the latter rounds, especially WRs. So, with that in mind, they will choose a CB. Ike Taylor is old, 33 years old and it became apparent last year when his coverage was awful at times. Dennard makes life a whole lot easier for the Steelers and instantly fills a gaping hole. If Eric Ebron was on the board, they might have been tempted with Miller aging and more prone to injury, but that wasn't the case. Dennard is gonna be a great fit for the Black and Gold.
16. Dallas Cowboys Timmy Jernigan DT Florida State Dallas is in need of a DT, DE and a Safety. Losing Demarcus Ware and Jason Hatcher will definitely leave two huge holes in the Dallas defense. Luckily they can use this draft to perhaps fill one void with a stud. Dallas could have kept Hatcher and Ware and looked to draft a Safety and that would have been a great plan if they weren't so restricted by the salary cap. Jerry Jones and company had to face reality and move on. So, with that in mind, Dallas looked at the best player on the board at a position they need filling. Simple strategy. Dallas was probably torn here between Louis Nix and Jernigan but Nix's weight issue is sure to push the Cowboys to Jernigan. Jernigan is just faster and stronger and has more upside. Nix could easily be a draft bust and injury prone if he comes in out of shape like at Notre Dame.
17. Baltimore Ravens Zack Martin OG Notre Dame Ravens drafted a Safety in the first round last year and they may have done it again this year if Pryor or Clinton Dix were on the board. But, It is what it is and Ozzie Newsome is from the draft school of "best player on the board". Ravens are extremely thin at the Offensive guard position, notably the right guard position. Currently have Kelechi Osemele, left guard and Marshal Yanda at right guard. Zack Martin never played the Guard position in college but would be an ideal fit and a definite upgrade at the RG position for the Ravens. Yanda is 29 years old and is a journeyman but will never be the star that Martin can be. Martin's unorthodox style of pass blocking will serve him better as an interior lineman rather than a tackle where he can be beaten by speed and good technique at the NFL level. With that said, Martin has amazing ability to keep his center of gravity low, has quickness off the snap and the ability to get to the second level and delivering some really nasty hits. Man plays intensely and is a perfect fit for the Ravens locker room culture. He could be what Logan Mankins has been to the Patriots. The anchor that makes the Patriots so stable on the offensive line. The toughness that Martin brings will be infectious to the rest of the players.
18. New York Jets Odell Beckham WR LSU Jets need Jadeveon Clowney Authentic Jersey some help at CB, Safety, WR and TE. Jets issue for last few years is consistent receivers. Adding free agent Eric Decker has definitely helped but it isn't enough especially with the addition of QB Michael Vick who I forecast as the starting QB for the NY Jets. The Jets had a few choices here. With Kyle Fuller and Bradley Roby still on the board, they could easily be tempted to take a CB again like they did last year, especially after losing Cromartie to the Arizona Cardinals in free agency. But, I don't see Idzik going that route. Jets had multiple choices that are pretty equitable at WR like Brandin Cooks and Marqise Lee. But for The Jets, Beckham is a perfect fit. He is the elite speedster, deep threat that the Jets need. Especially now after solidifying their run game with the addition of Chris Johnson. Teams will be forced to play more Man to Man and that could be very advantageous to the Jets if they get the play expected from Stephen Hill and Jeff Cumberland.
19. Mosley, ILB Alabama Dolphins need offensive linemen and a linebacker considering the sub par performance of newly signed Ellerbe. The signing of Brandon Albert will definitely help considering Tannehill was the most sacked QB in the league last year. The mess
with the Incognito Martin drama puts the focus on the Dolphins OL. But there is a player on the board that is right up Dennis Hickey's alley. Mosley. An immediate impact player with great speed, he has the ability to J.J. Watt Limited Jersey be an every down player and can become the defensive leader of the Dolphins. I think Hickey chooses the best player on the board here but if he doesn't I will guess it's the real need for a guard to play next to Albert and protect Tannehill and with that in mind, the alternate draft pick would be Xavier Su'a Filo, Guard UCLA. An excellent pass protector and run blocker who can easily play on either side of the line. Smaller size than what most NFL teams look for but easily has the frame to add 10 to 20 lbs. Lots of upside here. But I would bet Mosley and hope to cash in on an interior lineman later in the draft.
20. Arizona Cardinals Johnny Manziel, QB Texas A Cardinals need a Safety, Offensive tackle, Outside linebacker and a QB. redskinsonlineprostore.com/WOMENS-JOHN-RIGGINS-JERSEY.html I would say at this point that Kony Ealy would be the
best player for the Cardinals that is on the board. But, because of the way the draft fell and the QBs being passed over. I think the Cardinals take a shot at Johnny Manziel. He fell into their laps unexpectedly and Bruce Arians knows that the days of Carson Palmer at age 34 are drawing to an end.
21. Green Bay Packers Brandin Cooks, WR Oregon State Packers need a Safety and a Tight End because of the injury to Jermichael Finley and Andrew Quarless isn't the solution. A possible pick is Austin Seferian Jenkins but I just don't think he is as polished that he needs to be to warrant such a high pick considering the other talent on the board and the absolute need for the Packers to address the wide receiver position. Losing Greg Jennings last year and James Jones this year to Oakland, coupled with the injury and loss of Finley, McCarthy has to be thinking Wide receiver and two top prospects are on the board. Marqise Lee and Brandin Cooks. But, Brandin Cooks fits the mold of what Green Bay likes in a wide receiver. Sure hands, explosive speed, has the ability to make yards after the catch. A perfect compliment to Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson. Highly productive last two years at Oregon State with 195 catches and 21 TDs. Can play inside and outside the hash marks and will run very precise routes, perfect for a QB like Aaron Rodgers.
Well, folks, that's picks 11 21. Lots of arguments to make at every draft position. Trust me, I know firsthand because it took me a lot of time to think through each pick and the needs of the teams respective to what the board looked like. Next article will cover picks 22 32 to finish the first round. Thanks for reading.
Keywords: The 2014 NFL MOCK DRAFT